Thursday, December 30, 2010

Dresden Plates

practice block
Today was a day of firsts for me. It was the first envelope of Bee fabric that I got in the mail, and the first practice block to be made. Now I don't think I'll necisarily make a practice for every month, but this month was a bit outside of my norm. For the month of January, Cherie requested Dresden Plates using this tutorial (but using a different ruler). I used some of my larger scraps to put together a sample. It went together much easier than I thought it would! And thanks to Cherie's suggestion of numbering the backs, the petals stayed in their proper order! Unfortunately I don't have a large enough piece of neutral fabric to sew this onto (lol lack of solids in my stash - they're always the first to go!). The practice was great and now I'm confident about starting the real block!

4 comments:

  1. I think that I would like to try making some Dresden plates. I'm curious as to what ruler Cherie asked you to use? I love the black and white that is in the tutorial, too. My brother is getting married in May and I'm wondering if this would be too ambitious of a type of quilt to try...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can we see a peek? :)

    I actually just picked up the ruler at Jo-Ann's today for 50% off (can't beat $6!), and I think I'm going to try a practice block tonight, as well. I've done one other dresden plate, but I think practice sure couldn't hurt :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! See....I told you it was easier than it looks! And addictive, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great! I just started a Dresden plate quilt that I found in an old magazine that I bought from the library. I am totally addicted! I love the fabric you used, the center gives it a really nice contrast.

    ReplyDelete