Friday, December 30, 2011

The Masterpiece is Finished!!


Here she is. My mom's quilt! I'm so excited to finally have it finished!! I know my mom had been waiting patiently until Christmas to unwrap it... but maybe she didn't know that I put the finishing touches on it the night before we left to travel home! For the first time ever, I finished the binding by machine (first time on a huuuuge quilt). I mostly did this because I was under a time crunch and didn't want to rush myself on everything else that needed to be done. It turned out perfectly, although I didn't take any pictures of those perfect neat little corners... I know they're there! I used this method for pressing the binding before finishing it
.

 Although I can't remember specifically what the measurements of this quilt were (without searching through my sketches to find the one where I did the math), I think it finished at about 60" x 78" HUGE. 


 It's perfect for snuggling on the couch or throwing on top of Mom's side of the bed... so she doesn't have to share and Dad won't be too hot! 


 Here are some bits and pieces. Pictures here of the prayer written into the binding before sewing it up. I also wrote the same note on the tag that I tied up with the quilt. So my mom can remember it, even though it's hidden inside. I like to think of this as a way to literally wrap someone in love and prayers. I can't claim to have thought of this on my own (I got the idea from a blog friend who sent a block for Rosemarie's quilt). I try to remember to do this for all my quilts.



 Here's mom reading the note. :) She did cry... which was pretty sweet and made me cry a little too. :) She's my mom, what else can I say? 

Here's the only full length photo I've got. It was so overcast and dreary, so I'll have to take some pictures of it once the sun comes out again... come June! lol.

I'm pretty much in love with this quilt and I'm glad my mom loves it too. I designed the whole quilt around that AMH fabric (totem, from her LouLouThi line), which I'd envisioned in those panels from the moment I'd seen it online! The fabrics were picked gradually and eventually I had enough for the quilt. Not worrying about whether it was the exact shade of blue or anything, so it still looks nice and scrappy. The yellow there is Kona Curry, my favorite. That Curry just ends up in everything doesn't it? This time it was with intention. I decided to use only about 15%- 20% of that yellow in relation to the blue. The curry is cut into 1" strips and I wouldn't let myself add more than those strips that I'd cut! 

The herringbone blocks were derived from this tutorial I think I found it on pinterest. Speaking of pinterest here's the inspiration board for the quilt. Also in other details, nearly all of the solid fabrics in this quilt were purchased from Connecting Threads, at just a fraction of the cost of Kona, and it's really soft and great to work with! I completely recommend it. 

If you want to read more about the process of this quilt check out this link for all the posts about it!

Shared over at AmyLouWho's for sew & tell friday!

11 comments:

  1. I love this quilt that you have made for your mom! It's so cool! I was just thinking that I should start planning for a quilt for my mom. I'm going to check out the solids from Connecting Threads, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crying? Best.Response.Ever! Good job, Em!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So so so wonderful, Emily! Your scrappy blues are perfect with the tiny touches of yellow. What a perfect gift for your Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's gorgeous. And I love the idea of the prayer written into the binding. I may have to steal that myself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks great! I love the blues!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's just beautiful, and your mom looks so very happy with it! Love the hidden prayer in the binding, too. I've seen that somewhere before, too, but never remember to actually do it on my own quilts. Something to work on in the new year! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful Quilt for your Mom! I am sure she loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a stunning quilt! Simply beautiful!
    Loved the pix of your Mom wrapped up in it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. As I am reading this at work - I am choking back tears - such a happy story! Beautiful quilt, wonderful gift. Your mom looks so proud of it already!

    ReplyDelete