Thursday, March 22, 2012

Prepping for CMQG Spring Retreat!

Who's ready for the Chicago Modern Quilt Guild retreat??!! I am! So yesterday I was packing up stuff to go with me to the retreat, and I was overcome by the need to sew up a nice sized box pouch to store my tools (scissors, rotary cutter, threads, etc). With a little toddler distraction help from Wally this pouch was sewn up in about 15 minutes! It's super cool too. I used this tutorial (er - by memory), and this tutorial to figure out my dimensions. 

Easy! I used a plastic coated shopping bag for the pouch, and didn't line it. It finishes at about 10" x 5" x 5" 

I also pre-cut a ton of pieces for another giant ring of flying geese. This time I cut squares, which I then cut in half --- each sewn seam will be sewn on the bias, but the edges (the curved parts) will be on the straight grain.... I'm not sure if this is a good thing or bad. The last time my round edges were bias seams and it was SUPER fiddly when I was attaching it to the rest of the quilt. We'll see. Also, I stitched together the first arc of these geese... and my blue pieces are a tad bit on the small size! Eeek! They'll work, but next time I will cut them a bit bigger!


Now I'll leave you with a picture of my stuffed full suitcase! Yes it is a large size suitcase... and no it doesn't fit everything that I'm taking! lol. In my defense a lot of the projects I'm bringing are in the early phases... so who knows what fabric will be needed.... lol. 

6 comments:

  1. That's a pretty nice plastic coated shopping bag! Love what you did with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dammit, Em, I was all set with what to do at the retreat and now I HAVE to plan and add this. They are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are so on top of things! and super fast-- you made that pouch in 15 min?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ps-- I've just blogged about your work on my blog and awarded you the Liebster Blog Award: http://dashasel.blogspot.com/2012/03/liebster-blog-award.html :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have fun on the retreat! I can't wait to see photos and hear all about it! Hopefully, I will be able to go next year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these bags, Emily! I hope I can make one soon! You are a whiz kid!!

    ReplyDelete