Friday, May 18, 2012

Blogger's Quilt Festival


It's been a while since I've participated in the Blogger's Quilt Fest. It's always so inspirational to look around and see what everyone else has made!

I've chosen to share my Doll Quilt Swap 12 quilt. I made this quilt for the fabulous Mona who was my secret partner for the swap. It measures about 23" in diameter and was mostly paper pieced. Yes, there is some tiny piecing going on there... it's just my favorite most "me" quilt I've ever made. This was my first try at  drafting paper piecing patterns by hand (those arcs of flying geese around the outside), and I happened to fall in love with hand drafting and paper piecing.


Another first on this quilt, was that I made use of very specific types of free motion quilting on different areas of the quilt. the movement between micro quilted pebbles to free motion zigzags, to radius' out to the points. It was a lot of fun and I'm really glad I gave it a try!

The final moment of excitement once I'd finished the quilt - was realizing that my detailed "hanging structure" using boning and plastic hoops tacked to the back actually supports the circular shape! I was so worried that it wouldn't be able to be hung! All the time I spent going over it in my head worked out well in the end!

You can really see all the quilting here!
As I said before, this is the most "me" quilt I've made to date. It was hard to give it up and send it to my partner, but it was such a joy to make this quilt. Sometimes it's best to just let all the crazy ideas in my head out - and put them into a fantastic quilt. There's a very special place in my heart for the Doll Quilt Swap, and even though I knew I'd likely never see this quilt again, It still made sense to me to make it and send it to my partner. There's so much growing that happens when you're inspired during a swap. It's really important to me to be ok with letting go of the actual quilt.

There you have it. My ramblings about my precious Doll Quilt 12 quilt! If you'd like to hear the whole story this link will take you to the rest of the story!

Now go enjoy all the other quilts linked up for the blogger's Quilt Festival!

Amy's Creative Side

18 comments:

  1. yup, still amazing! It's so beautiful Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! that is a realllly imaginative and magical quilt! thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really such a neat little quilt. I amazed at how much you fit into such a small space. Your tiny piecing is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's gorgeous! I love the quilting pattern =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful - love the round shape!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your round quilt. I'm jealous of your lucky partner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing! I bet everyone in the DQS was hoping it was for them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. it is hard to let go, isn't it? it's part of the journey, i guess. it's what keeps us motivated to make more!your quilt is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a fun quilt!

    margaret gunn
    www.quiltsoflove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is great, you've done a wonderful job. I love PP so much but have been afraid to draft myself. Maybe one day, yours is very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks like a perfect circle well done
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such intricacy! It is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a fabulous quilt. No wonder it was so hard to give away! I always seem to do some of my best work during swaps, the challenge of making something outside my comfort zone really makes me focus :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. création originale superbe réalisation

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's beautiful! I particularly love the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow--it's just a fantastic quilt. love the colors, the shape, the quilting--all wonderful! lucky recipient! thanks for sharing and have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Don't you love round quilts? Great job!

    ReplyDelete